This post pertains to FAN (Faith Activity Nutrition) efforts. FAN is a faith-based program that aids churches in creating an environment that is conducive to physical activity and healthy eating habits.
Did you miss the FAN Kick-off Dinner? Well there's no time like the present to learn more about FAN (Faith Activity Nutrition) initiatives at St. Andrews Parish UMC!
Our FAN commitment is to encourage church members to...
- Become physically active at a moderate intensity (e.g., brisk walking) for at least 150 minutes per week
- Eat more fruits and vegetables (aim for 2 cups of fruit and 3+ cups of vegetables each day)
- Eat more whole grain foods (e.g., whole wheat pasta and breads, brown rice, etc.)
- Eat less fat (avoid saturated and trans fats)
- Eat less salt/sodium
Several of our Sunday school classrooms and church groups have adopted healthy snack/meal options, and our Thumbs Up exercise group has resumed. Thumbs Up sessions are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Thursday of each month at 1:30pm.
If you have questions about FAN or ideas about how we can adopt healthier habits as a congregation, please contact the FAN Committee...
The FAN Committee will be sharing tips and healthy recipes in the church bulletin, newsletter and on the hall bulletin board. We will attempt to publish all recipes online as well. First up is Roasted Broccoli with Garlic...
Roasted Broccoli with Garlic
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets, stems peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450° F
- Toss broccoli florets with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper
- Spread them out on a baking sheet, and roast, without stirring, until the edges are crisp and stems are tender (about 20 minutes)
- Serve warm
- 111 calories per serving
- 8 grams of fat
- 1 gram of saturated fat
- 10 grams of carbohydrates
- 5 grams of dietary fiber
- 5 grams of protein
Bon appetite, and stay tuned for more recipes!